Accademia Dino Ciani 2016
July 29 – August 12, 2016
Application deadline: May 15, 2016
The mission of the “Accademia Dino Ciani” is to give young, outstanding, international artists the opportunity to develop their skills, to work on repertoire, to live and breathe in an atmosphere of collegial musicianship, and to extend their results onto the concert stage. The Accademia Dino Ciani will take place in Cortina d’Ampezzo during the Dino Ciani Festival. The course will bring together young pianists and chamber groups with professors, musicologists and professional musicians. During this period, students will take master classes, attend concerts and lectures and perform in concerts in Cortina and in the surrounding towns.
This year, for the first time, we will hold also violin, cello, and chamber music masterclasses during the first week. Duos and trios will be formed with participating students.
The following teachers will be in Cortina d’Ampezzo in 2016:
- Jeffrey Swann (piano), July 29 – August 12
- Claudio Martinez Mehner (piano), July 29 – August 12
- Roberto Prosseda (piano), July 29 – August 5
- Umberto Clerici (cello), July 29 – August 5
- Massimo Quarta (violin), July 29 – August 5
- Hae Sun Paik (piano) August 5-August 12
Students can register for one or two weeks master classes. For each week there will be two classes with a guest Professor (R. Prosseda, or H. Paik), a lesson with J. Swann and a lesson with C. Martinez Mehner.
For Week 1 of the Academy, the participants will have 3 options:
- They may choose to work only on solo repertory. In this case, they will have 4 lessons: for pianists the lessons will be divided among Professor Prosseda, Professor Martinez Mehner, and Professor Swann; for violinists, 4 lessons with Professor Quarta; and for cellists, 4 lessons with Professor Clerici.
- They may choose to prepare a Sonata for violin and piano or for cello and piano along with the solo repertory. In this case they will have 3 lessons on their solo instrument with the professors as described above, plus one lesson with either Professor Quarta or Professor Clerici, depending on the choice of violin or cello sonata, plus one lesson with the duo with one of the piano professors, for a total of 5 lessons.
- They may choose to prepare a Trio for piano, violin, and cello along with the solo repertory. In this case, they will have 3 lessons on their solo repertory, plus one lesson on the Trio with each of the string professors and one with one of the piano professors, for a total of 6 lessons.
The Direction of the Academy will put together the groups and will be in touch with the participants in order to select the chamber repertory several weeks in advance. If applicants already have an idea of whom they would like to work, they will be given preferential consideration.
The second week of the Academy will be for piano only, and each participant will receive a total of 4 lessons with Professors Paik, Martinez Mehner, and Swann.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PARTICIPATION
Pianists and chamber groups aged 15-35 who are presently studying or graduates of music institutions who wish to deepen their understanding of music and the performing arts, those who wish to extend their knowledge of the process of music making and to widen their artistic horizons, those who plan to make music their profession, are welcome to take part in the “Accademia Dino Ciani”.
Interested applicants should:
- Fill in the Online Application Form;
- Send a copy of an official identification document (e.g. passport, ID card, etc.) which states your date and place of birth;
- Send a detailed curriculum;
- Send a DVD, video recording or YouTube links of at least two contrasting pieces from different eras (around 15-20 minutes);
- Send the repertoire you desire to work on during the course (at least two different concert pieces);
- Pay a deposit of 100 Euro to Associazione Festival Dino Ciani with a check, money order, or bank transfer. The deposit is not refundable and is included in the overall cost of the course. In case payment of the deposit is not received, the applicant will not be considered;
- Applications must be received by May 15, 2016 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address: Accademia Dino Ciani, Cianderies 19, 32043 Cortina d’Ampezzo (BL).
600 Euro per week (+ 22% VAT) or 1,100 Euro (+ 22% VAT) for two weeks. It includes at least four lessons with teachers available during that week, accommodation in school dormitories or with a family, free admission to all Academy activities, such as concerts and lectures, and all Festival concerts; participation in concerts both in Cortina and surrounding towns, as well as access to practicing facilities. The entire enrollment fee must be paid via wire transfer before the beginning of the courses to the following bank account:
Associazione Festival Dino Ciani
IT 73 S 08511 61070 000000028482
BIC / SWIFT: CCRTIT2T95A
Cassa Rurale ed Artigiana di Cortina d’Ampezzo
Corso Italia 80
32043 Cortina d’Ampezzo (BL), Italy
Please ensure that the enrollment fee is received by the Associazione net of any charge or cost for the wire transfer.
The Dino Ciani Academy, thanks to the American Friends of the Dino Ciani Festival and Academy and to the Fondazione Silla Ghedina, is able to offer a number of full and partial scholarships.
To apply for a scholarship, simply send an email to the Academy, as soon as you have submitted your online application to join the Academy, explaining what makes you a worthy candidate and specifying any particular circumstances that we should also take into account. Scholarship winners will be notified by June 25, 2016.
For cancellations before July 1, 2016: half of the enrollment fee (other than the deposit) will be refunded. For cancellations after June 15, 2016: the entire enrollment fee will be withheld.
MASTERCLASS AND PRACTICE FACILITIES
Masterclasses will be open to all students and they are highly encouraged to attend. A limited number of pianos will be available for practicing. Schedules will be made available in advance so that everyone has a chance to practice.
Academy Artists Concert Series
All students of the Academy will have the opportunity to play in the Academy Artists Concert Series held in Cortina and the surrounding towns and in the final Gala Concert at Alexander Hall. Students are asked to have works prepared for these concerts.
Masterclasses and live performances may be filmed, recorded or photographed for archival purposes only and will not be used for commercial purposes, unless authorized by the artist.
ACCOMODATION AND MEALS
The “Accademia Dino Ciani” will provide room and board for its participants either in the dormitories of a local school or with a family. Alternatively, participants may elect to stay at their expenses in hotel. A list of hotels with special Academy rates will be provided to all participants upon request. For further information, please contact us at the Academy office.
A list of local restaurants offering specially priced meals will also be provided to all participants.
The nearest airport is Venice Marco Polo or Treviso. Buses from Venice airport and Treviso are limited but available. Check our website for details. The closest train stations to Cortina are in Calalzo or Dobbiaco. Buses are available from either of these cities to Cortina. Check www.cortinaexpress.it and www.trenitalia.it for details.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Accademia Dino Ciani
32043 Cortina d’Ampezzo, (BL)